Student Video Contest
Population growth is a threat multiplier – it makes other problems worse and more difficult to combat. Through the World of 7 Billion student video contest, middle and high schoolers are given the platform to think critically about global challenges related to population and share what they think we should do to fix it.
Video Contest Topic
Explain how population growth impacts one of the following global challenges and offer an idea for a sustainable solution. The global challenges are: agriculture and food, urbanization, or ocean health.
All video submissions must be received by 5:00pm ET on Tuesday, February 22, 2022.
Winners will be announced on May 10, 2022.
Videos are judged by topic (Agriculture and Food; Urbanization; Ocean Health). Within each topic, awards will be presented as follows:
High School (9th-12th)
- First Place winner receives $1,200
- Second Place winner receives $600
- Two Honorable Mention winners receive $300
Middle School (6th-8th)
- First Place winner receives $600
- Second Place winner receives $300
Best in State
50 cash prizes will be awarded to the best video in each U.S. state.
Best International by Region
Six cash prizes will be awarded to the best international video by world region (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, North America, South America).
Narrow Your Focus
Narrow your focus by concentrating on a subtheme within your topic. The strongest videos don’t try to tackle an entire global challenge. Possible subthemes include:
- Agriculture and Food – High water use/irrigation; Chemical runoff; Changing diets; Soil health (erosion, desertification, etc); Impacts of climate change (drought, decrease in agricultural productivity, etc.); Habitat loss; Food insecurity; Fossil fuel use
- Urbanization – Sprawl; Urban poverty and access to services; Overburdened infrastructure (transportation, sanitation, etc.); Water and air quality; Housing/affordability; Access to green space; Rural-to-urban migration
- Ocean Health – Overfishing; Aquaculture; Loss of ocean biodiversity; Impacts of climate change (sea level rise, ocean acidity, etc.); Mangrove destruction; Dying coral reefs; Aquatic pollution
Video Length and Key Requirements
- The maximum video length is 60 seconds.
- All videos must be in English or, if in another language, include English subtitles.
- See the Rules and Guidelines for more details
a) how population growth impacts the issue
b) at least one idea for a sustainable solution
Have More Questions?
Email: [email protected]